The Barriere Curling Club has been part of the North Thompson community since 1979. Over the past 30 years the group has provided the residents of Barriere and the surrounding area with a facility where folks can go to socialize, have fun, and enjoy the sport of curling.
The club recently held one of its semi-annual swap meets at the rink. The organizers report it was a great success and thanked all those who attended, participated, and volunteered.
The curling club was also quite involved with this year’s North Thompson Fall Fair and Rodeo. The curling rink is used each fair as the exhibition hall, and the club members hosted a very busy concession stand within that area.
The Barriere Curling Club also hosts a series of bonspiels throughout the curling season. All of their bonspiels are open to the curling community and they encourage anyone interested in participating to contact the club. Upcoming are:
• Seniors Mixed Bonspiel, November 25, 2009
• Men’s Skins Bonspiel, January 15 – 16, 2010
• Sweethearts Mixed Bonspiel, February 12-13, 2010
• Shamrock Ladies Bonspiel, March 13-14, 2010
• Mixed Loggerspiel, March 19-21, 2010
In addition to their listed events, club president Steve Whitred says they are considering hosting funspiels for Halloween and Christmas; as well as a Curl for Cancer event.
Individuals or organizations can also host their own bonspiel at the Barriere Curling Club rink.
This year, in addition to their regular league play, the Barriere Curling Club will be hosting several bonspiels as well as the regional Junior Playdowns.
Whitred says the club is open most days during curling season, with leagues for women, men, seniors and mixed curling. There is also practice ice time, and curling clinics.
The rink’s weekly schedule includes:
• Women’s League: Tuesday evenings 7 – 9 p.m.
• Senior’s League: Wednesday afternoons 1- 3 p.m.
• Men’s League: Thursday evening 7 – 9 p.m.
• Mixed League: Friday evening 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.
• Practice Ice: Saturday Mornings 10 a.m. – 12 noon (drop in)
• Kids Curling: Monday afternoon 3 – 5 p.m.
Curling will begin during the week of October 12, and everyone is welcome to participate in this fun event.
Please contact Steve Whitred at (250) 672-5283 if you would like to participate, or go to the club’s website at: www.barrierecurling.com